July 26, 2009

Jakarta bombers' images released


CBC News

Indonesian police released on Wednesday images of the two men believed to have carried out the suicide bomb attacks on two luxury hotels in Jakarta last week that left nine dead and more than 50 wounded.

The sketches were based on the heads of two bodies found in the J.W. Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels in the aftermath of the explosions, police said.

The body found in the Ritz-Carlton belonged to a man between 20 and 40 years old with dark skin tone and short dark hair, police said. The body found at the Marriott belonged to a lighter-skinned man between age 16 and 17.

More than 50 people, including two Canadians, were injured after a pair of suicide bombers posing as guests attacked the Marriott and Ritz-Carlton on Friday morning.

Militant's wife detained

No official suspects have been named, but authorities say they suspect the attacks were planned by Noordin Mohammed Top, a Malaysian fugitive who heads a breakaway faction of the Southeast Asian militant network Jemaah Islamiyah.

Local television reported Wednesday that investigators had detained and interviewed one of Top's wives, Arian Rahma.

Counterterrorism police have stepped up their manhunt for Noordin — who has been at large for many years and narrowly escaped capture several times — because they believe explosives found at the scene Friday were similar to those used in earlier blasts.

Noordin is accused of masterminding an attack on the same Marriott hotel that killed 12 people in 2003, as well as a 2004 strike on the Australian Embassy that killed 10 and the 2005 bombings on Bali that killed 20.

With files from The Associated Press

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/07/22/jakarta-bombers-images853.html




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]